76ATV005 Austin ATV Essex Fire Brigade
Registered GLE 52, the Essex County Fire Brigade will have used this vehicle during WWII as the Austin ATV was built with this in mind.
The Austin ATV (Auxiliary Towing Vehicle) was introduced in 1941 and continued in manufacture until 1943.
Built on the Austin K2 2-ton short wheelbase chassis, these vehicles were made with reinforced steel to protect the occupants, particularly when working in areas subject to bombing and associated enemy action.
The seating accommodated the driver and one passenger in the front, with the crew sitting on cushioned equipment lockers along the back.
This model is painted in the traditional bright red with black chassis.
The bodywork is complemented by silver coach lines and gold lettering, as well as bearing the Brigade crest on the cab doors.
Additional details include brown ladders on the roof and two spotlights and bell above the windscreen.
Note too the 'canvas' curtained back providing token protection for the fire crew seated inside.